Publications for sale

Price: A$6.00 plus postage and handling

Researched and written by Barbara Gunn and Maureen Shannon
Typesetting by Melva A Welch
Printed by Snap Printing, Enoggera

The Enoggera District Heritage Trail covers a relatively short distance in that it begins and ends at the intersection of South Pine Road and Samford Road and goes west as far as the shops on Samford Road at Gaythorne. After travelling South Pine Road as far as Hurdcotte Street, the trail follows this road until it joins Pickering Street and when Samford Road is again met, the trail returns down Samford Road to the starting place. There are some small diversions to other streets along the way and, in all, forty-six places are pinpointed.

The oldest building along the route is "Killarney" built in 1853 and there are a number of other buildings from the 1800s. Some places mentioned have disappeared and the authors regret that some important buildings, the cottages in South Pine Road and the Empire Theatre, were demolished in more recent times. We remember these buildings well, especially the Theatre which was an outstanding structure and lives on in the memory of all who danced or saw films there.


Price: A$5.00 plus postage and handling

Revised 2nd Edition May 2001
Researched and written by Kevin Olivieri

John Nugent erected the first Picture Theatre at 37 Osborne Road Mitchelton in 1916. Renovations and rebuilding were carried out in 1923, 1939 and 1956. It ceased to operate as a picture theatre in 1959, but the Nugent association with the site did not cease until 1983.

This is the story of the 'Mitchie Picture Show', of John and Jemima Nugent, and particularly of Frank, their only son, and his wife Peg. The Nugent family, the Mitchelton Picture Theatre, and the residents of Mitchelton were not discrete elements of the community but existed as a integrated regional entity.

The "Mitchie" theatre located on Osborne Road, Mitchelton opposite the railway station, is now being operated as a 'Mitre10' hardware store. Full credit to the current owners, they refurbished the outside to resemble original images as the theatre was during its last period.

They have also attempted to re-create the atmosphere with theatre memorabilia adorning the front inside of the premises.